BLOOMFIELD, NJ -- The fire that broke out this morning at 55 Washington St. has been completely extinguished, with no civilians or Firefighters injured. The four alarm fire was reported at 7:48am.
Irvington, East Orange, Montclair, Clifton, Millburn, Nutley, Belleville, North Caldwell, Caldwell and Newark Fire Departments provided support in containing the fire, which was declared under control at approximately 11:00am. The fire did not spread beyond the building of origin, which is on the corner of Washington St. and Glenwood Ave. The building is considered an unsafe structure now, and not safe for tenants to re-enter.
“My heart goes out to all the business owners at this property, especially Roxy’s Florist, which is the owner of this landmark building, but also Heavenly Bites and Heavenly Flavors, Salvatore T. Alfano, PA, Fusella Counselors at Law, Kolby’s Place Barber Shop, Winfield Security as well as the Bloomfield Center Alliance,” said Mayor Michael Venezia. “Fortunately no one was hurt and the fire was quickly put under control, thanks to the skill and professionalism of our Fire Department personnel and the assistance of our neighboring municipal fire departments. This building and the great businesses operating there have been a huge part of our Downtown community and I want to wish them all luck.”
“We still don’t know the origin of this fire, and are continuing to investigate, but thanks to great work from Bloomfield and top nearby Fire departments lending assistance, the fire was contained without anyone sustaining injuries,” said Fire Chief Louis Venezia. “I’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to observe fire safety protocols during the winter, not leaving heaters, ovens, and other potential fire hazards on and unwatched, as well as encourage residents to create an escape plan, indicating on the plan all doors, windows and other areas from which you could escape from each room in your home in the event of a fire.”
The Bloomfield Fire Department is available to help residents create escape plans as well as check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. Residents seeking assistance with any of these matters can call the Fire Department at 973-680-4153.