Being prepared for a disaster can save your pets' lives. Most importantly, if you must evacuate, do not leave your animals behind. We recommend that you keep the following items in a secure easy to reach location, such as inside your pet carriers, ready to grab and go:
- A week's supply of food, water, litter and pan bowls, sealed in water-proof containers
- Current ID tags on your pet at all times (we recommend microchipping all pets, ask your vet for details)
- Current color photos (in case your pet is lost) and pre-made lost posters, preferably with a cell phone number and out-of-area alternate contact
- A list of safe places to take your pets, including hotels within driving distance that accept pets
- If you do leave your pets at home, print out the emergency sticker and post it on your front door to notify emergency response teams.